Welcome to the lab website of Geoff Morris
- Zhenbin's reference SNP map for over 10,000 sorghum is published in The Plant Genome
- Kebede's new simulation study designing a genomic selection approach for a Haitian breeding program is published in G3.
- Welcome Rubí Raymundo to the lab! Rubí will model the effects of stress adaptation traits on water use and yield.
- Marcus' paper on signature clinal of clinal adaptation in Nigerian sorghum published in G3.
- We're focused on adaptation genomics in sorghum – a global food, feed, and biomass crop – and its cultivated and wild relatives (panicoid grasses).
- Sorghum is a critical crop of drylands worldwide, from commercial farms in the U.S. Great Plains to smallholder plots in Sub-Saharan Africa. With climate change bringing higher temperatures and more erratic rainfall to much of the world, the importance of climate-resilient crops to food security and rural economies will only increase.
- To uncover the genomic basis of environmental adaptation
- To accelerate crop improvement for adaptive traits using genomics
Team and community
Team and community
- See People in the lab
- Our colleagues and collaborators at KSU include: Sorghum breeders, physiologists, and pathologists in the Center for Sorghum Improvement; Biologists at the Ecological Genomics Institute; Wheat Genetics team.
- Plant Breeding & Genetics Journal Club
- TERRA partnership - Sorghum Genomics Toolkit
- Supported by: Gates Foundation
- PI: T. Mockler; co-PIs - France: Vincent Vadez, Delphine Luquet, Alain Audebert, Jean Francois Rami, Senegal: Ndiaga Cisse, Ethiopia: Taye Tadesse, US: Jeremy Schmutz
- Implementing genomic selection for a small developing country breeding program (Haiti)
- Supported by: USAID Haiti, SMIL
- Co-PIs: Ed Buckler & Gael Pressoir
- TERRA Phenotyping Reference Platform
- Supported by: Department of Energy ARPA-E TERRA
- PI: T. Mockler (Danforth); 15 co-PIs, including: J. Schmutz (JGI/HA), J. White (USDA-ARS), P. Andre-Sanchez (U Arizona)
- Improving sorghum adaptation in West Africa with genomics-enabled breeding
- Supported by: USAID Feed the Future, Sorghum Millet Innovation Lab
- Co-PIs: Ndiaga Cisse (CERAAS-Senegal); Aissata Mamadou (INRAN-Niger); Daniel Fonceka, JF Rami (CIRAD-France); Falalou Hamidou (ICRISAT-Niger)
- Improved Genomic Mapping and Marker-Assisted Selection for Cold Tolerance in Grain Sorghum
- Supported by: Kansas Grain Sorghum Commission
- Co-PI: Ram Perumal (KSU)
- Discovery of new genes for enhancing grain and forage quality traits through association mapping in pearl millet
- Supported by: USDA-FAS Borlaug Fellowship
- With: Ram Perumal (KSU), Bass Mbacke (ENSA-Senegal)
- Pearl millet genomics paper
- Using genetic variation in root traits to maximize soil carbon sequestration and biomass yields
- Get sorghum GBS SNPs for Sorghum Association Panel, Mini-Core Collection, and World Reference Set (from Morris et al. 2013 PNAS)
- Sorghum, pearl millet, and switchgrass genotyping data at Dryad