GBS_DH = "Genotyping-By-Sequencing for Drought and Herbicide tolerance"'
- Identify the genetic basis of (1) pre-flowering drought tolerance and (2) ALS herbicide resistance in Tesfaye's breeding material.
- Materials: 432 inbreed lines related to drought tolerance/sensitivity and ALS herbicide resistance showing seedling chlorosis and non-ALS resistance genotypes. All the materials are supported by Tesfaye's group.
- GBS analysis (need to set-up GBS resources):
- Read Elshire et al. 2011 PLoS one
- Set-up 384X ApeKI barcode adapters
- DNA extractions in 96 well format
- Generate libraries
- Send 1 pooled sample for Illumina sequencing
- Trait analysis: 1) drought tolerance: drought-tolerant genotypes show no or little harm from the drought and with no obvious effect on yield over the last two years field test while drought-sensitive lines can't evade drought. 2) ALS herbicide resistance: Two set of genotypes with each include both ALS-resistant that show seedling chlorosis and non-ALS resistance. are planted in the field in 2014. 2x dose of ALS herbicide will be sprayed in one set at 30 days after planting. Seedling chlorophyll content, photosynthesis parameters, tiller number, plant height, and yield component will be determined.
- Lab analysis: High quality DNA of 432 genotypes will be extracted and 384 lines will be genotyped by genotype-by-sequencing.
- Overall analysis: association analysis will be conducted as soon as the genotypic and phenotypic data available
1) Characterization genes or alleles (SNPs) related to drought tolerance in sorghum.
2) Determination of genetic elements that underlie seedling chlorosis in ALS herbicide resistance inbred lines.
3) Develop new markers and alleles tagged for drought tolerance and ALS herbicide resistance improvement.
Information support the current project:
- Google Drive folder for GBS_DH
- List of GBS lines
- See Kansas Grain Sorghum Commission proposal for details
- Collaborators are Tesfaye Tesso, Vara Prasad, and Mithila Jugulam